One of the joys of travel is experiencing local cuisine, and drinks are definitely part of the cuisine experience.
When your holiday takes you to Los Cabos, Mexico, then you need to try some of the popular local drinks. Here are some well-known Mexican drinks, and some more unique ones, that you need to try when in Mexico.
1. Margarita: You can’t visit Mexico and not have a margarita! Margaritas have tequila, orange liqueur like Cointreau, and lime juice, but there are variations available. A “Cadillac” margarita, for instance, has top-shelf tequila and the top-shelf Grand Marnier cognac instead of orange liqueur. Margaritas are served in a glass with a salted rim, and either on ice or blended with ice.
2. Fruit margarita (including non-alcoholic): If you want something sweeter, and want to take advantage of the fresh fruit available, order a blended fruit margarita. Popular options include mango or strawberry. If you’re traveling with kids, a virgin fruit margarita is a great way for them to get into the holiday spirit.
3. Michelada: If you had too many margaritas last night, then you can start your day with the Mexican cure, a michelada. Think of a Bloody Mary made with beer, and different bartenders will have their own twist. It’s typically the beer of your choice mixed with clamato juice, hot sauces, Worcestershire sauce, and lime juice. They’re great paired with seafood, like a snack plate of ceviche.
4. Jamaica (Hibiscus) Water: For a non-alcoholic treat, order Agua de Jamaica. This iced tea drink is made with dried hibiscus (jamaica in Spanish) flowers, water and sugar. The tea is tart, which is why sugar is added. While it can be served hot, it’s typically iced, perfect for enjoying in the Los Cabos sunshine, or for the kids to try for a change of pace.
5. Mezcal: We know you’ll try tequila, so it’s not on the list, but you should also try its cousin, Mezcal. This smoky version of agave alcohol is traditionally cooked inside earthen pits and then distilled in clay pots, and the pits are filled with wood and charcoal. That gives it a unique flavor and one worth experiencing.
If you’re wondering where to experience these drinks in Los Cabos, then book a vacation at Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences.
Located ideally just outside of Mexico, and perennially named a top resort in the area and even in Mexico, Hacienda Encantada has eight restaurants and bars on site, allowing you to sample Mezcal with supper, sip a margarita by the pool, or enjoy Jamaica water after a spa treatment. The kids can have a fruit margarita when they get back from the Kids Club and Water Playground. And you can order up a Michelada when you have brunch overlooking the ocean.
When you’re ready to experience Los Cabos, Mexico, book a vacation at Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences.